Action A.5: Mapping of industrial polluting activities
The main aim of this action was to carry out a chemical profiling assessment of industrial wastewater discharges in Malta, to obtain a clear picture of the types and main constituents of liquid waste waters being generated by local industry. This exercise helps to assess adequacy of treatment systems currently in use by industry and suggest locations for construction of future industrial STPs.
- LEAD BENEFICIARYWater Services Corporation (WSC)
- LOCATIONMaltese Islands
- KEYWORDS Perception Survey, Expectation, Domestic, Agriculture, Industrial, Commercial, Stakeholder, Water Sector,
- RELATED ACTIONS A.6, C11, C18,
The main result of this activity is a report identifying the constituents that each of the major industrial sectors in the Maltese Islands being specified in this action is discharging (or can potentially discharge) in its effluent. Furthermore, the visible results emanating from this action will be compounded with those of the concrete action C10, including:
- Improvement in enforcement capacity due to increase in manpower, equipment and training;
- Have a clear picture of the areas in the sewer network having low wastewater quality;
- A gradual improvement of wastewater quality at the inlet of Sewage Treatment Plants and ultimately positively affecting New Water production
Take a look at the Deliverables for this action.
€750,000 are being invested to support some 150 farmers for the efficient use of water in the agricultural sector, Thi